Time Out!

Jun 14 2014

Well, first major goof on this project. Was going along OK. I got the rest of the mortises cut on all the long pieces.

IMG_20140613_183122

Then started doing the tenons on the cross pieces. Got one done, nearly perfectly. Started on the next one. Here’s what I did:

IMG_20140613_212728

Not sure if you can see what’s going on there. The tenon is supposed to be just about where that groove is. The piece is an inch thick, so I needed to cut a quarter inch up from the bottom of the piece as seen in the picture, up to where the groove starts. And cut about 1/2″ down from the top, to just above the groove. I got it backwards and cut 1/2″ up from the bottom – right through where the tenon is supposed to be. Basically cut the tenon right off before it existed. There’s no really good way of fixing this that I can think of. The tenon is already cut correctly on the other end of this piece. Otherwise I *might* think about filling the groove, flipping it over and putting the tenon on the other edge. But no. And I have no extra wood at all to replace this piece. I don’t even have two pieces that I can glue together to make the correct size in both dimensions.

So, I’ve gone and ordered another hunk of white oak. I guess I’ll have plenty to spare now. Hopefully the piece I’m getting is a decent match. From what I could tell in the pictures I saw, it seemed to have similar color, grain and flakes. I guess we’ll see. But this project will be on hold for a bit until that arrives. Actually, I have eight more tenons to cut, and can probably do some of the other work after that, so I may not be waiting around that much anyway.

No responses yet

Leave a Reply